Tuesday, September 27, 2005

How did I miss this?

This week is Banned Books Week! This is the week when people are encouraged to go to the library (or bookstore) and read something that some narrow minded person doesn't want you to read. I was surprised to find some books on the 100 Most Challenged Books list. Harry Potter is there, of course, as are many books dealing with magic. Many books dealing with homosexuality in a positive way are likewise condemned. And people apparently don't want you to read stories about racism either. But did you know that Judy Blume has two entries on the list? "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain and "The Giver" by Lois Lowry are also on there. We listened to a wonderful unabridged recording of "The Give" narrated by Ron Rifkin. I can't see why anyone would want this banned. I wish they listed reasons for the challenge next to each book on the list. That way I could know to which evils I was exposing myself to. Come on, everyone! Think a banned thought today!

Hat tip to Anne-Marie for the heads up.