Monday, February 14, 2005

Shameless plug

For those of you who like audio books and have not yet tried Audible, they are having a promo/contest now. I get free stuff for every one of my friends that signs up. If you sign up, you either get a free low end mp3 player or $100 off a nicer one, including an iPod. I refuse to give out email addresses in response to this sort of thing, but I'm not above shameless self-promotion on my blog.

Here's my take on Audible. They have an excellent selection of unabridged audio books. They have abridged too, but I don't care about those. The books come in more than one quality format, so if your device has good storage, you get high quality audio. If your player has less space, you can still get good books in the lower quality audio. They also have good subscription content. The main downside to the service that I have is the CD burning interface. You can only burn your CDs in normal CD format. They do not support mp3 formatting. So, if you want to burn copies of books to play somewhere other than your mp3 player, it can be arduous and time consuming. However, there are adapters to allow for your player to be used in your car, so this is less of an issue for me.

I've been a member for a couple of years and now have almost all of the Discworld books on audio. This is great for me as I drive about 40 minutes in my car each way on my daily commute. So, I get in a couple of chapters a day. If you sign up, great! If not, that's ok, too. I'm just putting it out there.