Thursday, July 08, 2004

Truth in advertising?

Here's an interesting exercise for you. Check out this development by Pulte homes. It's a great floor plan and the outside does look as nice as the artist's rendition. The location is a little off the beaten path commute-wise. But the price per square foot is actually decent...

On the web page, the price for several floor plans is listed as "from $400,000". I took this to mean that the base plan was this price and the upgrades to flooring, cabinetry, appliance, and so on would increase the price. So, I ended up taking two afternoons to go look at the place. I had to come back a second time because the office closed early for the 4th of July holiday. This was not advertised anywhere but on the door. Then, I return for a second visit. Care to guess what the price of the unit I was interested in, still listed that day as "from "400,000", actually was?

The price tag was $623,778! That's quite a long way "from 400,000". I'm annoyed that I wasted two afternoons for that. I already sent them a version of the above tale to their email address. Anyone have any other thoughts as to what I can legally do to get some satisfaction. (Read: Make them suffer.)