Thursday, May 15, 2008

Strange Church Near My House

I drive past many churches on my way to work. In fact, I drive by at least three in the first five or so miles. Each of them has one of those billboards where they can put up their own messages. (No, this is not going to be a post where I show faked billboards.) One of them goes for the cutesy, pithy sayings like "Nothing ruins the truth like stretching it!". The second just posts information like "Spanish Services: Sunday at 10 am". The third one is the one that is weird to me...

I'm not sure if my perception of weirdness is because of the other stuff I know about the place or if it is just the signs. But to me, their signs just don't make sense.

Here is the most recent:
Religion without truth isn't "authentic". It's just false.
Let me wrap my mind around that. Is there anything out there that, absent truth, is not false? I'm sure what they are saying is that their religion is the truth and other variants, no matter how close, are still not the way to salvation. But what a bizarre way to say it.

Here is another:
Christ died for our sins and rose for our justification.
Huh? The only reason Jesus came back from the dead was to justify your existence? That's some pretty good planning ahead by JC.

And of course:
Where the Bible is the inspired, inerrant word of God.
Just so we know where to go if we think the world is only 6000 years old.